Thursday, April 25, 2013
Recent Obsessions: Podcast Mania!
This photo has nothing to do with my post. Don't judge, it's almost the weekend and I'm gettin' antsy!
I love my new job. It tends, though, to be research and email heavy. This means that if I don't watch it while I'm working I'll basically fall into a meditative-like trance that numbs my mind.
What's been my savior the past few weeks? Podcasts!
I've been hearing about these things for years, but had never listened to one. But then, back in January, I found Girl on Guy, a podcast from comedian and talk show host Aisha Tyler.
I was immediately addicted.
There are literally tons of podcasts out there, but here are the ones keeping me sane as I research my days away.
1) Girl on Guy: Funny, profane, insightful discussions with Tyler and a host of actors, comedians, chefs and other public figures.
2) The Mental Illness Happy Hour: Oh. My. God. Anyone dealing with any kid of mental issue (depression, panic disorders, sexual dysfunction, schizophrenia...) or dealing with someone else who has mental issues WILL FIND SOMEONE ON THIS PODCAST WHO HAS SIMILAR PROBLEMS. I think this podcast is really important for people who feel fucked up, alone and unsolvable.
3) By the Way: One of the best parts of this podcast is listening to host Jeff Garlin's insane laugh as he talks to famous friends. The episode with Conan O'Brien is a hit.
I have to say, one of the best parts about these conversations is hearing how accomplished people (many of whom had horrible backgrounds or are living with psychological troubles) got to where they are and hearing about their creative process.
Here's another list of the podcasts I'm hoping to get into soon.
2) Star Talk Radio Show (what can I say, I'm an astronomy/physics geek)
3) Channel Surfing (I'm also a TV geek)
4) WTF with Marc Maron
Give some of these links a try when you have a tedious task to complete or even when nothing good is on TV. You won't be disappointed.