Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Trust?

My boyfriend and I had "the talk" after two weeks of already exclusive dating. (I know this because we saw each other EVERY night. He would have had to skip work to date anyone else.) I came to trust him quickly. The first date, really. I let him refill my Sierra Mist while not in my presence. Usually a big no-no. I could hear my mom's voice: "Don't ever leave your drink! If you do, don't go back to it! Don't take drinks from strangers!!"

There was just something about him. As the night went on, and our date lasted into the next afternoon (!!) he revealed so much of himself that I wondered if he were for real. Could any regular guy be this honest and open and straightforward? Was he softening me up for some big fall? Just trying to get into my pants with true-sounding tall tales of past hurt and rejection? I thought I would be more suspicious. I had no gut feeling telling me to head for a speedy exit by way of bathroom window. Had I suddenly lost my ability to read people? Or had I just found, luckily and by God, someone I could put faith in?

Trust is a four-letter word. Eventually we come to accept it. Or not.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails