Thursday, March 14, 2013
If My House Were Burning
I know it's horrible to think of. Losing most or all of the things you've worked hard for over your life would be a shitty, shitty thing.
This used to be something I never thought of. But, as HUBS and I accumulated cats, it occurred to me that if there were a flame-related disaster (or disaster of any kind, really) we'd have the responsibility of getting our furry friends to safety. And that, in turn, made me think of what else I'd feel the need to salvage and how I'd do it in a short span of time.
So, here it is. My disaster plan...
In Case Of Emergency
1) Hopefully we'll notice the fire while it's small. One of us can call 911 and work on it with our extinguisher while the other herds the cats into our two carriers and gets them to one of our cars.
2) I'd really want my laptop and external hard drive safe, so I'd head for these next.
3) My cameras. Oh, Lord, my cameras. I have three that I feel are absolutely necessary to have and another three that would be nice to have.
4) I have an amazing number of notebooks and journals around the house. Not to mention a few books I'd be a little sad to lose.
5) I figure items 2 through 4 could fit in our two laundry baskets which we keep in the office. Load 'em up and get out.
While I realize that our lives are WAY more important than any of the inanimate objects mentioned, I like having a relatively simple, mini-plan in my mind. I think, between HUBS and I, we could get this done in less than 10 minutes, get to our cars and to some semblance of safety while waiting for the fire department.
What do you think? What would you save if you had to abandon your home?