Friday, March 15, 2013
Happy Friday: A Creative Realization
Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
I had an interesting epiphany last night. I was tired and had drug myself to the shower after a long-ish day.
While I was in there my mind started to wander. I was thinking about creativity and what it takes to risk failure or embarrassment in the effort to have your voice heard, and something came to me. This might be something everyone else has known since the beginning of time, but it just occurred to me. And the thought is going a long way to quelling my creative fears.
No matter what you create, someone will hate it.
That's it. Do you see how freeing that is? Whatever creative thing you put into the world: novel, poem, painting, TV show, movie, dress design, textile pattern...SOMEONE WILL HATE IT.
Do you know what this means? It means we have no excuses. There's no point in worrying about how what you need to do (write, paint, design, etc.) will be received. You already know, upfront, that somebody is bound to hate it.
ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS CREATE, TO THE BEST OF OUR ABILITY, AND THINK ABOUT HOW TO LET THE PEOPLE WHO WILL CONNECT WITH OUR WORK FIND IT.
Because, just as sure that there will be people who'll hate what we do, there will also be people who love it, need it and want more of it.
That makes me feel good.
And slightly less scared to try.
Now that we're all relaxed, let's enjoy ourselves a little...
1) Photo buffs should check out the National Geographic tumblr. It's filled with rare pics, most of which have never been published. Much like The New York Times one from a few months ago.
2) Andy Dwyer. So dumb, and yet so awesome.
3) Some animals live a scary, freaky, long-ass time!
4) Want to grow your blog, business or brand without immersing yourself in a lot of expensive classes? Alt Summit can help for much less.
5) I've never read a Stephen King book, but I might read this one.
Enjoy your weekends, everyone!