Friday, January 16, 2015
Here's To Friday
You know how you'll be sailing along just fine and then something, big or small, will come around and WHOMP you in the ass? That's how my week's been. Last Thursday I found out that my one steady freelance gig is being cut down to 1/4 of what I usually do in a month, and who knows how long that will last.
I cried. Probably for a half hour, which really isn't long for me. And then I slowly picked myself up and applied for more freelance jobs. Of course that's something I should be doing all the time, but I frequently allow my lack of confidence and the ease of getting mired in the murk of depression to get in the way of progress.
I was proud of that achievement. And then I went and let things get all murky again and have spent most of this week just ignoring everything with a knot of future fear in my belly. I'm working my way out of it today; I found two jobs to apply for and have read a host of helpful articles about happiness and working toward your dreams.
Since a lot of you are working through the same issues as me (although I do hope it's on a smaller scale!), today I'm going to share some of what I've been reading and using to help organize my thoughts and get my shit together. I'm mixing in a little music, too, because it's fun. And if you can't have fun on Friday, when can you?
1) 9 main reasons you’re not discovering – or pursuing! – your dream career
2) 10 things to do besides complain about your job
3) How dreams, goals and habits make you a wildly productive writer
4) When your desire isn’t here yet, focus on "driftwood"
5) 6 nuggets of happiness
6) 12 habits of happy people
7) I really love the Passion Planner. Mine is on order and should arrive in a few weeks. Until then, I've been using the free pages to map things out.
Have a great weekend, everyone. If you have Monday off, too, even better!